I’ve called this the Super Sandwich because it’s super easy, super healthy, and SUPER delicious. And if your kitchen is anything like mine, you’ll pretty much always have the ingredients on hand. The raw garlic (either rubbed or added in) is key to elevating this above a plain tomato/avocado sandwich.
This sandwich has been a staple of my diet my years. I eat one of these for lunch several times a week, and I’m still not the tiniest bit tired of them. It uses ingredients I always have on hand and takes only a few minutes to prepare. Virtually everyone who spends much time at my home has eaten one of these, and the reviews are invariably glowing. It seems like (and is!) a very simple sandwich…. Just make one. Then you’ll understand.
- 2 slices whole-grain bread (or bread of choice)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 smallish tomato, sliced (or some slices of a big one)
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
1. Pop the bread in the toaster. If you’re using something thick like ciabatta that won’t fit in a toaster, put the slices in the oven at 300 (no need to preheat) for a couple of minutes until warm and slightly browned.
2. Drizzle olive oil on one slice of bread. Rub it in using the cut side of the garlic. (If, like me, you are a garlic fiend, chop both halves of the garlic clove after this step.)
3. On the other slice of bread, arrange the avocado slices and mash them in a bit. Don’t get too vigorous, or you’ll crush the bread. (Garlic Fiend optional step: sprinkle the chopped garlic over the avocado.)
4. Layer the tomato and spinach on top of the avocado.
5. Close the sandwich and cut in half.
I usually serve this with baby carrots and olives.
Endless variations! You can add just about anything to this sandwich. Two of my favorite add-ins are artichokes and arugula.